Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Fruit Pastry Cake

Ever have the feeling in the morning when you just know the world is not in favour of you for the rest of the day? Today I feel just like that.

Good that this feeling didn't last long, perhaps because I have freshly baked goodies for breakfast?

I made this fruit pastry cake late last night. Recipe was from Happy Home Baking but I made a few changes to the ingredients, simply because I don't have sour cream in my fridge.  I have also halved the recipe to make a smaller cake.

Fruit Pastry Cake
Ingredients (for a 6" cake):
50g butter, soften to room temperature
75g caster sugar
2 eggs (I should have added about 15g of milk / cream to compensate the lack of sour cream)
105g all purpose or cake flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
a pinch of salt
a dash of vanilla extract
fresh / frozen fruit to decorate

1) Butter a 6" springform pan and dust the surface with flour. Shake off excess. Preheat oven at 350 degree farenheit.
2) Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually add in eggs and milk until incorporated. Add vanilla extract.
3) Sieve together flour, baking powder and salt. Blend with egg mixture until just incorporated.
4) Pour batter in the prepared springform pan. The mixture might look little but it will rise up to 3/4 of the pan after baking. Decorate with fruit on top. I have used canned peaches, frozen strawberries and blueberries.
5) Bake for 55 to 60 mins. Check doneness by inserting a toothpick in the middle and it should come out clean. Rest in pan on a cooling rack for 5 to 10 mins before unmolding.


I have glazed the top of the fruit after baking with a bit of glaze to preserve the fruit. Glaze: juice from the canned peaches (about 6 tablespoons) with a bit of cornstarch (about 1/2 teaspoon); mix together until there's no lumps and put it in microwave at medium heat at 8 second intervals.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...