Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Pine-A-Por


I had no clue why borlorbao, translated as pineapple bun, gains its name when there is absolutely no pineapple in it. I only remember when I was in elementary school my grandma will bring me to the bakery after school to pick something for afternoon snack. 9 out of 10 times I would pick borlorbao. The sweet, crumbly crust is oh so tasty.

I came across a recipe for borlor-puffs. They are puffs made of choux pastry and top with a topping similar to the "bor lor" on bor lor bao.

(I am not sure where I made a mistake but the choux pastry didn't rise. I need to remake these in the near future.)

So I asked myself, why can't pineapple bun taste like pineapple?

I googled and found this pineapple custard filling recipe online. I made a few adjustments to make it stiffer and has a stronger pineapple flavour. So here is my version:




Pineapple Custard Filling

Ingredients
1/2 cup white sugar
Slightly less than ½ all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1 cup fresh pineapple puree
1 tablespoon butter



Combine sugar, flour and salt in a pot. Stir in egg and heat until thickens. Add pineapple and pineapple juice. Cook, stirring frequently, until mixture has thickened. Stir in butter. Remove from heat and allow to cool.

2 comments:

  1. Cherry,
    My hubby is a borlorbao fanatic. He saw these pics and asked me to beg you for one of these lovely buns!!! Would you send me the complete recipe please?

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are actually puffs under the skin of borlorbao. I followed a different recipe than GB and they puff up. Something is wrong with the recipe and I am going to try them again tomorrow. Then I can share the recipe!

    I saw your borlorbao on your blog too! They look so yummy!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...