Thursday, July 1, 2010

Think Spinach!



I noticed I have so far only posted my sweet creations on my blog. So this is my debut on my savory creations!

Ever since I splurge on the pasta attachment for my kitchenaid, I haven't cook any dry pasta for a while. Fresh pasta just tasted so much better with the chewiness. By making pasta at home you know exactly what's in your bowl. No unneccessary additives or colouring. And much cheaper too!  It is a bit time consuming for newbies like me, but the effort is so worth it.

I still have at least 6 packs of packaged dry spaghetti in my pantry. Those were bought when we first moved in and pasta was on sale for 99cents. Maybe I should donate them to the local food bank as I don't think I can go back to dry pasta anymore.

Did I mention I spent too much time enjoying my pasta and missed the fireworks? Next time I will make these ahead.



Lemon Garlic Shrimp with Fresh Spinach Fettucine
This recipe should yield pasta for 4 to 6 people

Ingredients:
3 to 3.5 cups of cake flour
1/2 teaspoon of salt
2 eggs
1 cup chopped frozen spinach

Method:
  1. Chop spinach in food processor. You are looking for almost a puree consistency but a few loose pieces won't hurt you.
  2. Put 3 cups of flour in your stand mixer bowl and add eggs and spinach. Mix with a dough hook until it all comes together. Add flour if the dough is too wet. The dough should be at a clean up stage when done. Let rest for 10 minutes.
  3. Divide in a few portions and proceed making fettuccine with the pasta machine.

 Lemon Garlic Shrimp Sauce
Ingredients:
1 tbsp olive oil
6 cloves of garlic, chopped
1/2 tsp hot pepper flakes (optional)
1 lemon, rind and juice
1 lb tiger shrimp, shelled and devined
1/2 cup chicken stock
2 tbsp heavy cream
salt and pepper to taste

Method:
Heat oil on medium heat and saute garlic and hot pepper flakes. Add shrimps and cook until they just turn colour. Add lemon rind, lemon juice, chicken stock and reduce slightly. Season. Reduce heat, add heavy cream and stir. Drain pasta and add to sauce, toss to coat. Dish it up and enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. OMG! u make it sounds so easy... I have to buy the pasta attachment! but i'm on a no carb diet! what should i do!?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...