Thursday, February 17, 2011

Make that Bacon Please!

Bacon in a cookie?

Why not?

After the Valentine's day flower pot cake, I am taking up another challenge: to develop a savour wedding favour. While brainstorming online yesterday I found this bacon pistachio cookies recipe. Interesting pairing. I have heard maple bacon, chocolate bacon, and the infamous bacon strips feast on youtube, so I wasn't too surprised when I stumble across this recipe. I checked my pantry and freezer and have all the ingredients, and off I go.

This recipe is very easy to make. I actually use the microwave method to crisp up my bacon, so there's minimal clean up on my stove. These cookies also keep very well in the fridge for unexpected guests. Here is my adaptation of the recipe.



Bacon Pistachio Cookies
(adapted from Angie's Recipes)

Ingredients
  • 50 g Bacon
  • 120 g Butter, cut into small pieces
  • 60 g Caster sugar
  • 1 egg (I replaced the egg white with an egg, just because 1 large egg is approximately 50g, and I already have more than enough egg yolks in my fridge to be dealt with)
  • 200 g Pastry flour
  • 1/2 tsp Dried thyme
  • 50 g Pistachio, roughly chopped
  1. Crumble up and loosely flatten a kitchen paper towel and put it on a flat plate. Line up bacon on top of the paper towel.  Cover with extra crumbled paper towel and microwave on high at 30 secs intervals until fully cooked and crisp. Flip bacon and paper towel as necessary. Dry them in a paper towel and roughly chop.  Set aside.
  2. Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg until combined. Add in the pastry flour, dried thyme, bacon and chopped pistachio. Work the mixture until it comes together. Roll the dough into a log at about 5cm in diameter. Wrap the log with cling film so that the dough is completely covered. Chill the dough for at least 2 hours or overnight until thoroughly firm.
  3. Preheat the oven to 175C/350F. Line two baking trays with paper or silicon mat. Remove from the fridge, and slice the log into cookies, about 5 to 7 mm thick. Place the cookies on the prepared trays and bake 15 to 18 minutes. Cool the cookies on wire racks. Stir them in an airtight container for at least a week.

4 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...