Friday, August 27, 2010

In Disguise

Sometimes what you see is not what you get.

The same applies to daddy's birthday cake.

It might look like a strawberry charlotte, but it's not.

Maybe it wanted to be a strawberry charlotte, that's why it was covered in strawberry.

No, this is a mango charlotte.

I had no idea why I arranged to meet up with my friends on Wednesday night, when clearly I need to make a cake for Thursday. I needed to make something that is not labour intensive, and I can make part of the cake ahead of time. I decided to make a charlotte as I can bake the cake on Tuesday night, freeze it, then make the mousse quickly on Wednesday night after dinner. The plan was to make strawberry mousse, but it was getting late and making seedless strawberry puree was not an option. I opted out and changed my mind to make mango puree instead.

I was looking for a recipe for ladyfingers online and I found one from Le Cordon Bleu.  The recipe seems easy but I couldn't figure out how to get 6 tablespoons of icing sugar on top of the batter.  I had to stop at 2 tablespoon, wait for 5 minutes, then sprinkle 2 more tablespoons over the top. It is just impossible to get 6. The overloaded sugar helped create a slightly crunchy surface, but it also melted during baking and sat between the ladyfingers. It made curving the cake difficult. Next time I will only sprinkle 2 tablespoons before baking and sprinkle the other 2 after they come out from the oven. That way the cake surface should stay dry and crunchy.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...