Sunday, November 21, 2010

Friend or Foe


It's Auntie D's birthday and mom asked me to prepare a cake. For some reason I had ginger flavour in my mind. It's the Asian ginger, not the powdered ginger use in ginger bread man. What a weird idea I had!


This is what I finally came up with - ginger bavarian cream with lemon mousse. It was an interesting combination of flavours. Fresh grated ginger juice gave the bavarian cream a nice subtle kick. The sweetness of the cream was balanced out by extra tangy mousse. I did some research and found out that fresh ginger contains an enzyme that retards gelatine to set. I have juiced a piece of ginger the size of a palm, boiled and reduced the juice to about 2.5 tablespoons and add to the bavarian cream mixture.  I was praying for the mixture to set and it did!

The lemon mousse I adapted from Jamie Oliver, reduced majorly on the sugar to get the tangy flavour.

Extra tangy lemon mousse
• 135g caster sugar (reduced from 185g)
• 3 large eggs, separated
• juice and grated zest of 2 lemons
• 3 tsp powdered gelatine
• 200ml 35% whipping cream (reduced from 300g)

Whisk the sugar and egg yolks together in a large bowl until pale and thick. Whisk in the lemon juice and zest. In a small bowl, combine 100ml boiling water with the gelatine and whisk until it dissolves, then add to the yolk mixture. In another bowl, beat the cream until soft peaks form, then fold into the yolk mixture. In yet another bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form and fold into the cream mixture. Transfer to a clean bowl and refrigerate until ready to use. Pipe with a pastry bag into the middle layer of the cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...