Thursday, March 24, 2011

M for Mango


This was how the story goes:

I was at the supermarket doing my weekly grocery shopping and I saw beautiful mangoes on sale for $0.59 a piece. "It's only March, sure mango season starts earlier every year." I thought to myself. I resisted the temptation and walked pass the sea of mangoes.

Then I walked near the potatoes and then saw boxes of mangoes for $6.99. There's 16 in each box and much bigger than the 59 cents version. I have never seen them that cheap before. That I couldn't resist. I picked up a box and went to check out.

Then the cashier found out that there's no bar code on the box.
Cashier: "There is no bar code on the box, do you still want to buy it?"
Me: "Of course!" (Thought: "hell ya it's not my fault the box didn't carry a bar code!"
Cashier: "I can't scan it, do you want to buy it per piece."
At this point I am getting angry. Are you serious? Really. You can scan 16 mangoes individually and you can't find a box with bar code. And you dare ask me if I want to spend $9.44 to buy something that should only cost me $6.99?

She eventually got smarter and asked for assistance. Turns out that there are no bar codes on any boxes.

The mangoes were pretty raw when I brought them home. I like to wait until they mature a bit and starts to develop wrinkle skin. They are really sweet by the time I use them in the following recipe. Make sure you taste test to adjust the sweetness to your liking.

Mango Ice Cream
1 cup of 35% cream
3/4 cup half and half
3/8 cup sugar
2 eggs
a pinch of salt
4 medium sized mangoes / 2 cups puree

Method: Make creme anglais with the first 5 ingredients, cool the creme on a water bath. Follow the instruction of your ice cream maker to churn the ice cream. Add the mango puree at the last 5 minutes.

*Note: this recipe is best eaten fresh out of the ice cream machine. Due to the fruit content, the ice cream freezes very hard in the freezer. I had to defrost at room temperature for 45 minutes to be able to scoop it into a ball.

1 comment:

  1. The ice-cream looks so perfect. I also found that home-made ice-cream is best eaten fresh,maybe it's because I always prefer the "gelato" texture. My husband just looked at these pics and asked me to make mango ice-cream now...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...